Friday, December 10, 2010

Self-Evaluation

At the beginning of the semester, I lamented having to take this class again. Yes, again. As a 23 year old, I've had to come and go from Howard University because of financial issues without ever passing Freshman Seminar. I knew if it was anything like the first time taking it, I was going to regret it. It was honestly quite the opposite. The setup of Freshman Seminar was not only convenient but I thought it was very useful, even for me. I learned facts about the buildings on the campus and the instrumental African-Americans who it is our honor to name those buildings after. I learned about the African burial ground and have been given new inspiration to move through life with purpose because there is no age restriction on greatness. From Dr. Pollard's talk on the hip-hop culture to Dr. Gbadegesin's Iwa story on character, everything not only tied in but gave me the tools to finish my Howard career strong, even though I'm not a freshman. Most of the presentations in the class were done thoroughly enough for me to gain insight on things I never even considered to be problems today, like cyber bullying on teens. Many of the freshmen in the class were learning like I was so it was really cool to see us learning the same. I know that I came to Howard University to be exposed to a different way of thinking to aid in becoming the critical intellectual that I know I can be. I know that this new set up of Freshmen seminar has done that for me and I'm sure will serve as the same for many freshmen classes to come. I loved this course!

No comments:

Post a Comment