Friday, December 3, 2010

Research and Methodology: Inscription as a Liberating Practice

I can honestly say I can relate to this lecture. I know what it feels like to do good research and get good grade for it. Doing research is not just for a grade though. You can do it just to educate yourself on a few things. I can say that when I have heard a person's name that I do not recognize I write it down so I can look it up later. When you take it upon yourself to do a little research you will be surprised at what you find. You will learn some things you did not know. Freshman Seminar actually encourages that we as young people do more research. I realize that all of the lecturers had to do an element of research to get ready to speak to us in class. I did not realize that there were steps and stages of a research project until Freshman Seminar. There are methods of researching. You can use the library, the internet, or even people to research a certain subject. Your research question cannot be too broad because then you will have trouble bringing a certain point to the forefront. You have to narrow it down to negative or positive, a certain age group, or a certain nationality. Freshman seminar also challenges us as young African Americans to research our history. We cannot be uninformed when it comes to our history or we will be taken advantage of. I as an individual choose to know where I came from. If you do not know where you are from you cannot possibly have a clue about where you are going.


 


 

By Christiana Flood

No comments:

Post a Comment