Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Self Evaluation

Freshmen Seminar wasn’t the worst class in the world. As a sophomore this is my second time taking this class. Overall, the class is much improved and ran a lot smoother than last year. First the lecture series in the beginning of the semester were a good idea. It introduced me to several different speakers and ideals. Even though some speakers were difficult to understand I feel like the variety of speakers at Howard is one of the schools greatest assets. Sadly, I feel as though many students don’t take full advantage of this resource at the university and having it in freshmen seminar introduces this concept to students. Moreover, as the class progressed I thought it was a great move to explain to the students the purpose of freshmen seminar. It puts the work required of students into perspective. Then there was the second half of the course that was designed around group presentations. In the workplace group skills is necessary to succeed. These projects were actually a lot more interesting than I thought they were going to be. Students actually focused on contemporary issues such as bullying, nutrition, and depression. My group focused on the cliché topic of Hip Hop. However, we tried to make it original by focusing on how Black America views Hip Hop. Through the project we had discussions, debates, and found new paradigms on the topic. I actually enjoyed the project and giving the final presentation. I think this class aided to my confidence in my ideas and beliefs and I’m excited for the rest of my academic career.

By: Stanford Fraser

No comments:

Post a Comment