Friday, December 10, 2010

African Burial Ground

Going to the African Burial Grounds in NY has been one of the most unexpected and rewarding experiences of my life. I knew that Dr. Carr would take us to an establishment that was culturally and spiritually significant to the history and advancement to us as African-Americans but I wasn't quite expecting this. The whole environment from leaving in Washington, DC felt like a scene right out of one of my favorite movies, "Remember the Titans". There is a scene where all of the students, black and white, run in the camp without knowing where they are headed. In the cold, they stop at a place which served for the War of Gettysburg. In the cold leaving from DC, I wasn't sure what to expect. But seeing the burial ground was earth-shattering for me. The most instrumental part for me was the stories of how these people respected the legacies of their loved ones even with limited resources. In an era now where we have access to so much, it seems as though our respect for our ancestors and their legacy has gone away but that was a main priority to these Africans. It was very sad to hear how these Africans were treated by those who didn't even see them as humans. Many of their stories ended with being tossed to the side or not even being buried properly. The harsh realities of that life came over me as I stood there. Being confined in a small space, being chained to another person who might be seeing their dying day, no nourishment, and having the soul sucked out of me in bondage is utterly unimaginable to me. The sad part is the guide said for them that was just a way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment