Thursday, December 2, 2010

Howard University Scribes

Scribes are the foundation of what we do here at Howard University. It was not for these legendary people at Howard University to lay the groundwork for what it is that we do, none of us would be here. Through this presentation, I learned exactly what I needed to know about being a Howard student. While I'm walking to class or on my way to get something to eat, I pass some of the most legendary sculptures and buildings named after many of the great African-Americans who have shaped the future of the Negro in America and consequently, American culture.

Every day, I pass iconic sculptures like Freedman's Column on my way past Lulu Vere Childeres Hall. I learned about Oliver Howard, the man with whom the name Howard University is credited to. He is a Caucasian man who was known for educating free slaves. It was on January 18, 1867 that it was decided that the name would officially be called Howard University. I learned about Mordecai Wyatt Johnson who was the first African-American president of this great establishment. I learned about Alain Locke who believed that Africa should be used as inspiration, started the Hilltop, and influenced Zora Neale Hurston. I learned about the history of Cramton Auditorium who is named after Louis C. Cramton who is responsible for bringing major funding to this institution. This presentation so eloquently placed the emphasis on the people who serve as the foundation of who I am as a student at HOWARD UNIVERSITY. Not even mentioning great names like Phyllis Wheatley, Lucy Diggs Slowe, Mary McLeod Bethune, Charles Drew, and Earnes Everett Just...I learned so much! Great Presentation

Written by Kasaun Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment